Thursday, October 4, 2007

Can't shake this feeling

I left the house early this morning, and arrived at my local phlebotomy lab a little after 7:30. My RE's office had faxed in an order for my blood work yesterday. I signed in at the lab, and waited for my turn. Mornings are typically busy there with the waiting area filled with people that have been fasting for their glucose tests, and are therefore pretty cranky. I was cranky, but not because I had been fasting.

After waiting for about 30 minutes, the woman behind the front desk called my name. I told her that my order had been faxed in, and she searched for it in the pile of papers on the fax machine. "It's not here, they must not have faxed it over." Sigh. This isn't the first time this has happened. My RE's office was just opening, so it took me a few minutes to get someone on the phone. I eventually talked to my nurse, and she re-faxed the order in to the lab. I finally got my blood drawn nearly an hour after I'd arrived, and I was off to work.

A co-worker of mine had a baby a couple of weeks ago, and she & her husband brought the baby in today. I am genuinely happy for them, as she is one of the sweetest people I know, and they're going to be great parents. It was a slow day, so I got to spend about an hour talking with them and holding their son. Several other women in the office did the same, and soon a crowd gathered around, including two other women who are also married with no children.

As we oohed and aahed over the baby, a few people sat off to the side talking. At one point, I realized they were all pointing at us, and having a conversation about which one of us would be the next to get pregnant. Later on, a couple of people gave me the "So are you next?" line of inquisition.

I get really anxious when situations like this arise. I haven't told a lot of people at work about our struggles with infertility. I'm a pretty private person, and don't really want everyone knowing my business. I've been pretty discreet about my doctor's visits, usually scheduling them early enough that I can go before work. I've had to take a couple of days off on short notice (one for my IUI, one for my HSG), but my boss is very cool, and didn't question it.

I just don't know how to respond to questions about when we're going to have kids. Today, I just sort of ignored it, and didn't respond at all. I was afraid I might snap at someone, and didn't want to say something I'd regret later.

Today was just one of those days where infertility was constantly on my mind. I was anxious about the bloodwork since the results will affect how we proceed with our next cycle, and I felt awkward being the subject of office pregnancy speculation. When I'm engrossed in my work, I can at least forget about our situation for a little while, but I couldn't seem to do it today.

No comments: