Saturday, October 6, 2007

Follistim Cycle 2: Electric Boogaloo

After my last Follistim cycle failed, my doctor prescribed me Prometrium to induce my period so we could start all over again. She specifically gave me Prometrium in case I had ovulated on my own (ha!) and might be pregnant (double ha!). Prometrium is a natural progesterone, so it wouldn't block the action of any progesterone I might be making if I had ovulated (again--ha!).

I took the Prometrium twice a day for 10 days. I've been lucky enough to not have had side effects with most of the medication I've been taking; but Prometrium knocks me on my ass. About 30 minutes after I take a pill, I start to feel like I'm drunk, and it lasts for 1-2 hours.

I also had some heavy spotting when I first started taking the Prometrium this time. I reasoned that this was due to the drop in my estrogen levels after I stopped taking the Follistim. It stopped after a few days, and I finished out the Prometrium, expecting to get a full period about 3 days later. I had a couple of days of light spotting, but no period.

Just to ward off the inevitable question from my RE, I took a pregnancy test. Unsurprisingly, it was negative. Still, my doctor requested that I get a blood test to check my HSG and progesterone levels. They checked out fine, and so I went in yesterday for an ultrasound to check my uterine lining, and see if I had developed any ovarian cysts.

I got the all clear signal yesterday afternoon, so I started my second Follistim cycle last night. This time around, we're going with 50 IU, and I'll get another ultrasound after 4 days of dosing to check on my follicles. I'm recycling the drugs from my last cycle, since I had a nearly full vial of Follistim, and didn't touch my Ovidrel or progesterone tablets.

I'm excited that we're finally able to try again. I am hopeful that this cycle will go better, but the sting from the last failure is fresh in my mind, so I'm more cautiously hopeful this time. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

No comments: